Home Security and Automation for Kupuna
Today, home automation and home security products are changing the way Americans approach aging and caring for elderly loved ones. While technology specifically developed to aid in the aging process is a new and burgeoning industry, the home security and home automation industry has been ahead of the game, and long understood the technologies could extend the senior’s ability to stay in the home safely.
Aging is a difficult and unpredictable thing. Simple tasks become difficult, and many things pose a hazard that did not just months before. For many, there is an extended time where the loved one wants `to stay in their own home and in most ways able to do so safely. Ever changing capabilities can make this time a real struggle though, and pose dangers to our loved ones as they attempt to do things they believe they should be capable of doing.
How Home Security and Home Automation Products Help Seniors
At some point, every senior needs more support and supervision, and caregivers need more peace of mind in knowing that their loved one is safe. Here are some examples of how advanced technologies are enabling seniors to live at home safely and independently.
- Wearable alarms put seniors in direct contact with help should they need it.
- Video surveillance allows loved ones to check in frequently, but unobtrusively.
- Motion sensors can alert caregivers to unusual movements.
- Door sensors can help monitor coming and going, or wandering.
- Home automation technologies can help manage tasks like turning on and off lights, opening blinds, and turning off and on electronics. Not only can the tasks be scheduled, they can also be done from an electronic device such as a tablet, so the senior can control simple tasks from the comfort of their chair.
- Monitor the temperature of the home remotely, so the senior never gets too hot or cold.
- Seniors can use video surveillance to see who is at the door before answering to improve safety.
Today, investing in home automation and home security products is not just about convenience or safety. For many it means retaining autonomy and dignity and the ability to stay in the home for as long as possible, and the ability to save money for use when it is really needed. If you have questions about how to integrate home security and automation products in helping your senior loved ones, please feel free to give us a call. We are always happy to help.
At some point, every Kupuna needs more support and supervision, and caregivers need more peace of mind in knowing that their loved one is safe. Lifeline is here to help. Visit our medical alert systems page or call today for more information.
- Halloween Safety Tips for Kama’aina - October 14, 2016
- Life Safety Tips For The Holidays - December 4, 2015
- Home Security and Automation for Kupuna - October 3, 2015